Preparing your roof for winter
Oct 03, 2017
Before your rooftops are covered with snow, now is the time to plan on preparing it for winter. A professional inspection is the first place to start. A knowledgeable inspector will check for things like:
- Loose shingles
- Bad flashings including around skylights
- Tuck pointing deficiencies
- Damaged gutters and downspouts
- Inadequate or misplaced attic insulation
- Blocked venting and improper ventilation
In addition to inspecting your rooftop, chimney, gutters and skylights, Ledegar’s maintenance crews can make the necessary repairs to ready your home for winter and prolong the life of these parts of your building.
There is some maintenance you may be able to handle yourself:
- Conduct a visual inspection from the ground
- Trim trees that overhang onto your roof
- Clean gutters (our maintenance staff can also do this for you)
Ledegar Roofing offers a preventative maintenance plan if you never want to think about this again. Once signed up, you will be put on a regular maintenance schedule and be eligible for discounts.
If you burn wood, it is important to have your chimney cleaned and inspected at least once a year. Creosote is extremely flammable and the build-up leaves your home vulnerable to a possible chimney fire.